Are you on the hunt for simple eco swaps that make a big impact? Did you know that 2 billion disposable razors go to landfill every year, in the USA alone? Imagine the statistics based on a collective of the world’s population.
Queue the single blade razor, commonly known as the safety razor. These razors, although often viewed as primarily for men’s grooming, they have been used by women for centuries… and there is a good reason why.
Why should you make the swap?
Other than the obvious reason being better for the planet, made from bronze metal and zinc alloy, the safety razor has many benefits, as follows:
- The blade and razor is easy to clean. Say goodbye to the days of trying to scrape out hair and soap grime from your multi blade razor. The safety razor can be easily unscrewed to clean for a fresh shave every time.
- Less irritation and clogged pores. Because you can get your blade clean, along with the high quality of the blade, you won’t be pushing old dirt and grime into your open pores as you shave.
- Eliminate soap strips that contain harmful chemicals from your life. Especially when shaving, at the time it is most sensitive. To add to the reasons why you don’t want soap strips on your razor, they are also a prime target for bacteria.
- Lower the chance of ingrown hairs (a customer favourite!). A high quality, single blade razor is gentle on your skin, cutting your hair at the optimal length. Multiple blades are designed to lift each hair to cut lower than the surface, more likely resulting in ingrown hairs and irritated skin. If you suffer from what is commonly known as ‘strawberry legs’ you will also love this swap. Learn more about how to get rid of strawberry legs here.
- Cost effective – Each blade costs less than $2 to replace! Bonus, subscribe to have the blades delivered to your door for even more savings.
- Providing an incredibly close shave, you’ll have the smoothest skin and wonder why you’ve been using plastic alternatives for so long!
Now you know why the swap is the best not only for you, but for the planet, what is the best technique?
- When shaving there is no need to use any downward pressure. The razor is high quality and simply gliding along your skin like tracing a feather is all you need. Practice on your thigh or calf muscle until you have it perfected.
- The bar under the blade is called the ‘safety bar’, rest this on your skin to start, angle the razor slightly to a 40º angle so that the blade is just touching and start to glide softly.
- If you have highly sensitive skin, shave ‘with the grain’ of your hair. For example on your legs this usually means in a downward motion.
- Use a quality shave gel to protect and hydrate your skin and follow with a nourishing moisturiser.
- Start slow and you’ll be shaving like a pro in no time!
Try the Smooth Operator Kit with a single blade razor, 10 refill blades and a gorgeous protective and travel case from Ritology for a beautiful piece for your bathroom, to improve your skin and lower your impact on the planet.